Bagamoyo Sculpture School offers an exchange program which allows students to immerse themselves in the local culture while studying Tanzanian art. Classes are held in an open air classroom in an environment which gives students plenty of inspiration for their creativity. This program is open to people of all skill levels and design interests through a one week intensive course or a short term stay.
ONE WEEK INTENSIVE COURSE is for students wishing to study 1-2 of the following art forms: wood carving, clay sculpture, stone sculpture, painting, drawing, or jewelry making. Other forms of art are available upon request with advance notice. Spend 5 days studying your art form with local masters. At the end of your 45 hour class week, you will go home with not only a greater knowledge and understanding of the art form but an example of your work to give you creative inspiration at home.
SHORT TERM STAY is for students wishing to learn one or all of the following art forms: wood carving, clay sculpture, stone sculpture, painting, drawing, or jewelry making. Other forms of art are available upon request with advance notice. We ask students to stay for a minimum of two weeks and a maximum of three months. During this time, students will work on several projects and leave with finished products which demonstrate their learning. Not only will you grow as an artist, but you will gain an understanding of the local culture.
- Tuition for the Arts Exchange Program is $150 per week and includes:
- Daily instruction by qualified teachers in your chosen area of study
- All materials (wood, stone, clay, etc)
- Use of facilities and appropriate tools
- Programs can be tailored to fit the needs of individual students
- Accommodations are available at a variety of locations, all within a 5 minute walk of the Bagamoyo Sculpture School.
- Prices range from approximately $12/night to $50/night and vary from budget hostels to beach-front hotels.
- Please see the link below to the Housing Accommodation Guide for a detailed list of local housing optionsHousing Accommodation Guide
- Transfers from Dar es Salaam airport cost approximately $70 each way by taxi. The school can arrange for a driver to transport you individually or in a larger group.
- All government fees for visas and permits are not included in the above pricing. Information is available on the website of the Tanzanian Embassy.
(Local students - please call school administration for pricing)